Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Poised for a comeback

Okay, so the whole not buying stuff week never worked out. Maybe I wasn't trying hard enough, or maybe it was because I just didn't really have a goal or motivation to do it. Maybe another day I will try it out.

As for ignoring my blog since March - whoops! Partly it was the busy nature of school, then it was my computer breaking down (just got a new [Free!] hard drive from the Mac store, woohoo!). But since I've started reading the blogs of friends, I am definitely in the mood to write.

The summer isn't exactly going as I imagined it would. In my late-winter era mind, I foresaw myself get a sweet internship, possibly one that paid at least minimum wage. I would be wracking up my story count, or at least learning how to use excel and writing some intra-office memos.

But, as the cold winter stumbled clumsily into a brisk spring chill, I was still short one internship. An awkward interview at the University followed an uninspiring face-to-face with some honcho at CBC.

And now, the job board is empty, the only mailed-out "self-identified" job offers are not remotely journalism, nor am I capable of creating the diversified and dynamic communications plans that they want me to make. As if.

So I am an intern shipwreck at sea, perhaps.

All through the winter I vowed that I will fill the potential gap (of no work term) with volunteering in a writing capacity, somewhere. And I am nervous about writing for the Journal, although that is not for any good reason, to be honest.

But I really do want to work on my portfolio because I don't want to be in the exact same situation a year from now when I am under the proverbial gun to do my work term.

I'll be fine though, I feel positive about the next three months.

In the meantime, I am bartending at Broken City. It should be a fun time once again, but it doesn't exactly develop integral journalism skills by any means.

Anyhow, I am going to go enjoy some fresh air!

1 comment:

  1. If it helps any, I'm in the exact same situation that you are. I didn't find an internship either. We can be intern shipwrecks together.

    ReplyDelete