Veggie Loaf takes over the world! With her sidekick corn & edamame salad!
Ready for the oven.
The Thrifty Vegan's Mouthwatering Hash Brown Loaf
- 1 largish onion (should be about 2 cups once shredded)
- 3-4 medium russet potatoes (should be about 4 cups once shredded)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/8 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup spelt flour (can substitute with regular, whole wheat or rice flour)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp thyme
- black pepper to your tastes
- Shred onion in food processor or with box grater (be careful!). Transfer to large bowl. You will cry, be prepared.
- Shred potatoes, squeeze dry in cheesecloth or do the best you can with a colander. Transfer to same big bowl of onions. (NB: Don't let the potatoes sit too long or they will turn black. That won't affect the taste, but it won't look very nice. If you have to leave them for awhile–more than a couple minutes–cover the potatoes with water).
- Add rest of ingredients, plus anything else you might like to spice things up with. In fact, after you’ve added the vinegar, you can be pretty creative with the spices.
- Mix thoroughly with a spoon, or your clean, flu-free hands, until the potato shreds are clearly covered with delicious flavour.
- Transfer mixture to lightly oiled or non-stick loaf pan. (NB: If you don’t have one, try baking it in a pie dish, or individual lunch-sized ones in muffin tins. Just make sure you adjust the cooking time accordingly–that means don’t cook it as long if it’s in a smaller container).
- Bake at 375 F for 1 hour.
- Serve with steamed veggies and nutritional yeast gravy or miso gravy.
Lovely ridges from the bottom of the ungreased pan.