Saturday, October 10, 2009

Day 4, eating on $30/week

It's damn cold in Calgary right now. Here is a list of things I am interested in doing tomorrow:
  1. making pie
  2. roasting sweet potatoes
  3. eating bread
  4. drinking tea
  5. eating stuffing
  6. drinking wine
Perhaps in that order, but any other order would do as well. Here is a list of things I ought to do tomorrow:
  1. the dishes
  2. the "take-home" portion of my "theory" "midterm" (note the sarcasm-laden quotation marks)
  3. study for another theory midterm
  4. my laundry
  5. sweep the kitchen (I'll probably actually do that one)
We shall see how it all goes. I would probably be less concerned with the weather if I were wearing my slippers


Challah Risingchallah all poofyfresh challah
Today was my first day of work on the budget. I am usually very tempted by the food at work, even though plenty of it is meaty pub food that I don't eat. I brought my soup from yesterday and I believe I got some jealous looks from coworkers.

A Sort-Of Recipe for Vegan Chili
Before heading to work I threw together a crock of chili. It's easier said than done, of course, even though it wasn't particularly difficult it did eat up a portion of my limited morning time. Along with the soaked-overnight beans I added: a big can of diced tomatoes, one jalapeno lopped in half, about 1/3 of an onion, 4 tbsp chili powder, 1 tbsp cumin, some Frank's Red Hot Sauce, couple tbsp brown sugar, and 1.5 cups of keg beer. I let it cook on low from about 9:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m though I don't think it needed that long. About 30 mins before I ate I added 3 tbsp tomato paste and another 1/2 tbsp of chili powder because I didn't think it was hot enough.

It ended up having a pretty decent bite to it, and was thick enough to feel like chili, although there's a sort of faint burnt taste to it, which might just be the chili powder. There's a huge amount of it, of course, so I am going to refrigerate a couple servings and freeze the rest. I'm low on tupperware though, so perhaps I'll use some freezer bags.

I spent nothing today, but borrowed flour from my mum for the pie I'm making tomorrow.

Here's what I ate today:
Breakfast
  • a few pieces of challah with homemade cinnamon-peach jam (Sooo good!)
  • a banana
Lunch
  • a big bowl of Day 3's coconut curry soup
Dinner 
  • a piece (or 3) of challah dipped into the chili...y'know, to taste it
  • a smallish bowl of chili
  • a little bun (yes, because I needed more bread :)

No comments:

Post a Comment