- making pie
- roasting sweet potatoes
- eating bread
- drinking tea
- eating stuffing
- drinking wine
- the dishes
- the "take-home" portion of my "theory" "midterm" (note the sarcasm-laden quotation marks)
- study for another theory midterm
- my laundry
- sweep the kitchen (I'll probably actually do that one)
Today was my first day of work on the budget. I am usually very tempted by the food at work, even though plenty of it is meaty pub food that I don't eat. I brought my soup from yesterday and I believe I got some jealous looks from coworkers.
A Sort-Of Recipe for Vegan Chili
Before heading to work I threw together a crock of chili. It's easier said than done, of course, even though it wasn't particularly difficult it did eat up a portion of my limited morning time. Along with the soaked-overnight beans I added: a big can of diced tomatoes, one jalapeno lopped in half, about 1/3 of an onion, 4 tbsp chili powder, 1 tbsp cumin, some Frank's Red Hot Sauce, couple tbsp brown sugar, and 1.5 cups of keg beer. I let it cook on low from about 9:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m though I don't think it needed that long. About 30 mins before I ate I added 3 tbsp tomato paste and another 1/2 tbsp of chili powder because I didn't think it was hot enough.
It ended up having a pretty decent bite to it, and was thick enough to feel like chili, although there's a sort of faint burnt taste to it, which might just be the chili powder. There's a huge amount of it, of course, so I am going to refrigerate a couple servings and freeze the rest. I'm low on tupperware though, so perhaps I'll use some freezer bags.
I spent nothing today, but borrowed flour from my mum for the pie I'm making tomorrow.
Here's what I ate today:
- a few pieces of challah with homemade cinnamon-peach jam (Sooo good!)
- a banana
- a big bowl of Day 3's coconut curry soup
- a piece (or 3) of challah dipped into the chili...y'know, to taste it
- a smallish bowl of chili
- a little bun (yes, because I needed more bread :)