This resulted in a somewhat surprising bill at checkout. However, I took the following into consideration after lifting my jaw off the dirty grocery store floor:
- Some of the purchases were toiletries, etc which should have a separate budget
- Some of the purchases were kitchen tools (like parchment paper etc)
- Plenty of the larger expenses were things that will last at least 4-6 weeks, and won’t need to be replenished on my next few trips
- Brian’s back today! So most of the food cost will be split in half.
I will share with you my intended list, and what I actually bought.
As you can see, I actually did stay on budget for food. I felt better about the list after breaking it down in my little chart here.
Combined with what I have in my pantry, here are some of the meals I concocted with this grocery list (and grocery list ingredients in brackets):
- Cinnamon rolls (flour)
- Beer bread (flour)
- Tom Yum Soup - spicy thai (bok choy, onion, half jalapeno, garlic)
- Twice-baked potatoes with caramelized onions & feta (onions, oil, side of steamed bok choy)
- Shanghai noodle stir-fry (peanut butter, bok choy, oil, tofu)
- Spicy Tofu Sandwich (tofu, aforementioned beer bread)
- Regular ol’ pasta with an egg (1 egg)
- Oatmeal (soymilk, banana)
- Toast (peanut butter)
- Chinese scallion pancakes
As you can see, the few ingredients I actually used went a long way. However, since I didn’t actually use up most of what I bought, I could have spent less money overall. I’ve been very aware of my expenditures since officially ending my $30 challenge, although today was deplorable ($2 on Starbucks drip coffee, $6 on highballs at the bar at school…hehe). Tomorrow we’ll have to get some more groceries, although I’m pretty sure we can get away with just picking up fresh vegetables.
I have to say, I’m pretty pleased with my progress so far. I would call myself a bit of a foodie; buying, cooking and eating my meals is a treat! It’s been good to cap my expenditures and still eat delicious, interesting and pretty nutritious meals. Stay tuned...